There’s nothing like curling up in a comfortable chair, dimming the lights and getting lost in a great movie. Whether it’s a Friday night and you’re tired after a long week at work or it’s a rainy Sunday and you don’t want to go outside, putting a film on and creating your own cinematic experience is pure bliss.
But what if you could really enjoy the feeling of being at the cinema, all from the comfort of your own home? With your very own home cinema, you can take your movie nights from good to great! Below, we list our top tips for designing the perfect home cinema for you:
Choose the right room
Before you begin, you need to think about which room to transform into your home cinema. Perhaps you’ve recently converted your attic or your eldest child has moved out, leaving you with a spare room in the house to transform into an entertainment zone. Either way, it’s important to think about which room is right for your requirements and can offer the following:
- A flat wall: Whether you’re going to hang your TV screen on the wall or use a projector, you need to make sure there’s at least one flat wall in the room without a fireplace, window or anything else to obstruct your view.
- Space for seating: Depending on how many people you’ll be sitting in your home cinema, a tiny room might not work. Think about how many chairs you’ll need and how much floor space is available.
- Insulated walls: You won’t want to annoy your neighbours during movie nights, so make sure your chosen room has insulated walls to stop noise pollution.
- Plenty of plug sockets: This is a simple thing that can be easily forgotten, but you’ll need plenty of plug outlets for your television, sound speakers and popcorn machine!
There are plenty of factors to take into account when choosing the right room for your home cinema, so think carefully before you make your decision.
Pick a home theatre theme
Once you’ve chosen the perfect room, you can start thinking about the finer details – such as decoration! To make sure your home cinema is a place you can truly relax in, consider picking a theme that suits your preferred tastes. There are many great ideas to consider, including:
- Hollywood: A true classic, Hollywood theme is a great way to pay homage to some of the greatest movies of all time. Achieve this look by pairing red, black and gold furnishings and framing famous movie posters for the walls.
- Vintage: If you’re inspired by old-fashioned cinemas, opt for a vintage theme with red velvet chairs, velvet curtains and neon wall lights.
- Sci-Fi: Do you love all things sci-fi? Create a fantasy-themed home cinema with black-out blinds, neon strip lights and glow in the dark ceiling stickers.
- Outdoor cinema: If you love the idea of hosting your home cinema outside, transform your room into an outdoor haven with potted plants, fairy lights and bean bags for chairs.
Here are just a few ideas, but of course there are many more! The theme you opt for will depend on your personal tastes, interests and budget, so think carefully about which one takes your fancy.
Install a high-quality home entertainment system
The most important feature in any home cinema is, of course, your audio-visual equipment. Your chosen screen will be the focal point of your room and needs to be of the highest quality to ensure a true cinematic experience. When choosing which audiovisual equipment is right for your requirements, you need to consider the following:
- Size: The size of your screen will depend on how much space you have available and your budgetary restrictions. This will also depend on whether you’d prefer a television or a projector screen.
- Fixed vs. Retractable: If you’ve opted for a projector screen, rather than a television, you have the option to choose between fixed and retractable. Fixed options tend to be cheaper whereas a retractable screen gives you slightly more flexibility when it comes to the function of the room.
- Control system: When choosing your AV equipment, you should also consider the control functions. For a modern home cinema, you may want to install a system allowing you to control the equipment with your phone or tablet.
When choosing the perfect AV equipment for your media room, it’s always best to seek advice from a professional home entertainment installation company. There are many different factors to consider, and it’s never a good idea to install your own screen or television control system without expert assistance.
Invest in a great sound system
Tinny speakers could ruin your overall home cinema experience, so make sure to invest in a great sound system. A great sound system, such as a Sonos system, will enhance your entire experience with high-quality theatrical effects and clear dialogue. The difference in sound quality between different systems can be dramatic, so invest in the best of the best for the perfect home cinema.
When choosing and fitting a sound system for your television or projector, it’s always recommended that you discuss your requirements with an AV expert. They’ll be able to help you choose a high-quality system suited to your requirements, and will be able to install it professionally to give you control wherever and whenever you need it.
Choose comfortable seating
Apart from high-quality AV equipment, what’s one of the most important parts of any home cinema? The seating. Without comfortable seating, no one will want to spend time in your entertainment den – not even you! After all, there’s nothing better than sinking into a comfortable cushioned chair to watch a great film. There are many different seating options to consider, including the following:
- Armchairs: These are great for individuals who want to recreate the traditional cinematic experience. You can even choose reclining armchairs with cup holders.
- Sofas: With a sofa, you can curl up with your family for some well-deserved quality time. Don’t forget to keep a stockpile of fluffy blankets nearby.
- Bean bags: A slightly more unique seating alternative, bean bags are great for kid-friendly home cinemas. Scatter bean bags and floor cushions around the room for a truly cosy feel.
The type of seating you choose will depend on the theme and style of your home cinema, so make sure to balance design and comfort when choosing your seats.
Experiment with lighting styles
When you visit the cinema, the dimming of the lights is a sure sign that the film is about to start. To recreate this feeling at home, experiment with different lighting styles. You want to make sure your home cinema lighting doesn’t interfere with your screen, so it’s important to think carefully about your chosen light fixtures.
One of the most important features to install is a dimmer switch. This allows you to lower the lights according to your preferences. If you’re watching a film, you may want to dim the lights completely, but if you’re watching a football match with your friends, sitting in the dark won’t create the right atmosphere.
Think carefully about which lighting styles are right for your preferences and try to balance function and style accordingly. If you’re not sure which lighting style to opt for, think about your theme and what works best.
South Wales TV Aerials: Professional home cinema installations in Cardiff, Newport and beyond
Design and install the home cinema of your dreams with South Wales TV Aerials, the leading media room installation company serving Cardiff, Newport, Swansea, Carmarthen, Bridgend and Rhondda. Our dedicated team of engineers are experts in helping customers design home cinemas with the highest standard of interior, acoustic and ergonomic design, and will always go above and beyond to meet your budgetary restrictions. With no call-out charges and a free quote for every customer, we’re the go-to TV installation company in South Wales.
Whether you’re looking for a screen wall-mounting service, a Sonos sound system fitting or a TV installation near you, give us at South Wales TV Aerials a call. Get in touch today for more information.